Saturday, July 4, 2015

Usual Stuff

Steve moved the chickens to new pasture. Quite  a contrast where they had been (foreground). I will plant something like buckwheat which is a quick growing cover crop, bee attractor, and food crop for the chickens. 

Meanwhile the goat brothers were tethered out for their daily browse. Waldo is cuious about the tractor.

Henry got right down to eating.  

Though I didnt get a picture, I used this time to take each goat and lay them across my lap for some hoof trimming.  Using  a cup of grain as an attention diverter, I was able to cut back the overgrowth on their hooves. Goats' native landscape is rocky, which naturally wears down their hooves.  Without that normal wear and tear, hooves have to be trimmed down or  the hoof wall can start growing inward, and they can get pockets of dirt in there, which can then cause certain hoof diseases and lameness.   Once these guys get bigger, I think I will have to use  stanchion to hold them, but for now, a wiggly baby goat straddled across my lap is doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment