Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Chick Flicks, Day 1...... And Sap Gathering

The weather is soooooo awesome today. Mostly sunny, and 40 degrees!  After our super cold February, it feels like summer, well, at least spring!

I gathered about 4  gallons of sap today.  Its running pretty good. I wont be able to go back out and get the late day sap because our town meeting is tonight, and we need to go vote.
Here is a picture of the sap as it comes out of the tree. It really does look like water, doesnt it?

There are a few taps which barely producing. I don't know why,and since things are just really starting to flow, they may yet.   But, if we are able to get enough sap to make a gallon of syrup this first year, I will be thrilled.  I am mostly using ziplock bags snugged up over the spiles instead of the lids, as the winds were kicking those around too much.

And the new chicks are due tomorrow I think.  I should get a call from the post office letting me know they have arrived.
Meanwhile, here is Day 1 of the Chick Flicks, showing  you what we have prepared for their arrival.  I don't think I mentioned in the video what kind of feed you should get. It should be labeled as "chick starter", which means it will be ground to a fine crumble, small enough for the little ones to pick up.  Of course, I recommend organic, because, hey, you probably want to raise your own chickens and eggs because you want something better than what's at the grocery store.  It starts with better, healthier, organic, non-GMO feed.  Your local feed store should have something, or there are many places online.
Remember that saying "you are what you eat"?  Well, it goes a bit further when you are raising your own animals for eggs or food. "You are what you eat, eats".





As promised, here are the links for the heat units I have.

Brinsea EcoGlow 20 chick brooder
and the heat lamp is
ZooMed Infrared Ceramic Heat Bulb


No comments:

Post a Comment